So today’s blog post is coming to you on a very special day…because it’s my birthday! Yes, I have officially been on this planet 26 years as of today. Crazy thought isn’t it? So, in light of this, I thought well, I need to give a bit of a gift to you, the readers of this blog, and today you’re getting that gift to celebrate this wonderful, amazing day when I was born. And to the person that I can hear saying ‘he’s a bit egotistical int he?’ – firstly, RUDE, and secondly, this is the one day of the year that I get to celebrate being wonderful, pretty, functional me so NYER to you.
If you’ve been following my Twitter or my Facebook for the last few weeks, you’ll know that I’ve been doing a thing called #26in26 – basically, each day in August in the run up to my birthday, I’ve asked my followers (which hopefully some of you are) or friends to choose a song that was a hit from a given year in the last 26 years. Why? Well the reason why is now apparent because I have compiled all your choices into one totally rad Spotify playlist for you to enjoy today.
It’s a real – and I love this word – hotch potch of songs, sounds and styles from FOUR decades – house, rock, rap, UK garage, R&B, ballads, dance, and of course it wouldn’t be a playlist from me without some full blown pop music for good measure too. Your choices in full were as follows, with the year each of them came from:
- 1989: Soul II Soul feat. Caron Wheeler – Back to Life (However Do You Want Me)
- 1990: Deee-Lite – Groove is in the Heart
- 1991: James – Sit Down
- 1992: Charles & Eddie – Would I Lie to You?
- 1993: Ace of Base – All That She Wants
- 1994: M People – Moving on Up
- 1995: Ini Kamoze – Here Comes the Hotstepper
- 1996: Spice Girls – Wannabe
- 1997: Hanson – MMMMBop
- 1998: Robbie Williams – Millennium
- 1999: 5ive – Keep on Movin’
- 2000: Craig David – Fill Me In
- 2001: Kylie Minogue – Can’t Get You Out of My Head
- 2002: Sugababes – Round Round
- 2003: Busted – Year 3000
- 2004: Girls Aloud – Love Machine
- 2005: Kaiser Chiefs – I Predict a Riot
- 2006: Shakira feat. Wyclef Jean – Hips Don’t Lie
- 2007: Nelly Furtado – Say it Right
- 2008: Alphabeat – Fascination
- 2009: JLS – Beat Again
- 2010: Bruno Mars – Just the Way You Are
- 2011: Olly Murs – Dance with Me Tonight
- 2012: Lawson – Taking Over Me
- 2013: OneRepublic – Counting Stars
- 2014: Pharrell Williams – Happy
A big thank you so much to everyone who voted each day on the choices throughout the month. It’s been really good fun and I hope you’ve enjoyed it as much as I have and that you turn this playlist up loud and have a good boogie. I’m off to spend the day with the fam eating cake and unwrapping presents and generally lovely things of that nature.
Much love always,